Thursday, July 05, 2007

2007 book 98

J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
The fifth Harry Potter book is my least favorite by a large margin--I always refer to it as Teen Angst Harry Potter. There are some things I like about it--namely the DA, Neville being heroic, and various Weasley antics--but when you spend most of an 800+-page book wanting to give the protagonist a good shake, it can be a little wearing. Having Harry angrily talk in all-caps in multiple scenes isn't my favorite editorial choice, either.

I didn't actually mean to reread this before the movie comes out next week; I was sort of hoping to not really remember all the details, and that maybe the movie would leave out the annoying bits. (I actually have been saying that this is the first HP movie I'd like in a while, since they'd probably just leave in the good parts with the DA and the exciting fight scenes or whatever.) After reading it once again, though, I think this movie will probably annoy me just like the last two. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll tone down Harry's attitude problems, but not getting my hopes up . . . Of course I'll still be seeing it opening night. :)

2 comments:

christinamerge said...

I liked this one better reading it again than I did before, but it is definitely my least favorite, too. I'm happy I never had to be a 15 yr old boy!

Alicia K. said...

It's weird--I feel differently about this one every time I read it. This time I was more annoyed than I was last time, for instance. I guess it just depends on my mood . . .

Being a 15 year old girl was bad enough! One of the things I LOVE in book 5? Hermione decoding girl feelings! Haha!