Wednesday, August 20, 2014

2014 book 198

Cary Elwes' As You Wish : Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride 
Yes, it's true: the actor who played Westley in The Princess Bride has written a book about the making of the VERY AWESOME movie (based on the VERY AWESOME book, one of my all-time favorites), and it is just as delightful as you might imagine. So many fun behind the scenes stories! And it's not just Elwes--there are plenty of asides/anecdotes from all the other actors, as well as William Goldman, Rob Reiner, and Reiner's producing partner Andy Scheinman. I mean, you know, it's a book by an actor (with a very competent ghost writer), it's kind of cute and fluffy, but it will WARM YOUR FREAKING HEART if you love the movie like I do. Which I think most people do. Most of all, it will make you need to rewatch the movie IMMEDIATELY, so I'm just going to go ahead and do that right now. Rated A for ADORABLE.

(I mean, ok, I'd love to have gotten a lot more from Robin Wright about some of the scenes they didn't share, and I kind of got all cultural-theory on things when Elwes called her a "cool girl" who "could hang with the guys"--I find the "cool girl" trope fascinating. And I mean, it's not like there were any girls to hang out with!)
__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in October.

No comments: