Saturday, August 30, 2014

2014 book 209

Fiona Wood's Wildlife
The publisher compared Wood to Melina Marchetta, so of course I was eager to read it! I'd also compare it to Jaclyn Moriarty--so many good Australian YA authors are making their ways to the US, and it makes me wonder who I'm missing! ANYWAY. This is about two girls whose school does a nine-week session at a wilderness camp--one girl is dealing with friend and boy drama, and the other one with the death of her boyfriend (but she's new at school, so no one knows this). I appreciated that even the more villainous characters are given some depth, and Wood writes realistically about teenage relationships and sex. I have literally zero interest in camping or, in general, being outdoors, but still really enjoyed the descriptions here. I enjoyed just about everything about this, in fact! Really a strong stand-alone contemporary YA book. A-.

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in September.

No comments: