Tuesday, August 23, 2005

2005 book 110

arthur phillips' the egyptologist
well, this book at least has an interesting structure--it's told in a series of letters/journal entries, alternating between two primary narrators. unfortunately, the narrator all into archaeology doesn't get interesting until around page 200, and then it's intermittent due to all his dang technica talk, and the private detective's story starts off strong and then gets almost as annoying as the other guy's toward the end. the end is pretty funny, by the way, although i think the author was going more for surprising and ghastly. good effort, though.

2 comments:

David said...

I felt the same way. It was funny. It started strong and I liked it--but when I finished I thought, "Ehh." There was somethign missing. You would think it would be right up my alley--funny, sad, word games--but it just didn't do it for me.

Alicia K. said...

exactly! it jsut got so bogged down and annoying at the end--and it had so much potential. some editor needed to take a firmer hand with that one.