Tuesday, August 09, 2005

pop culture rambling

well, after reading 12 books over vacation, i'm a little burned out on reading. also, i pretty much made my way through my to-read pile and don't have anything to read anyway. so basically i've been doing a lot of crosswords (i love those books of just the new york times monday crosswords, since i can almost always kick butt on those, which is deeply satisfying to a nerd like me) and watching reruns of house and veronica mars (which is on fridays on CBS for the next two weeks still, for those who don't get upn! and which is on upn wednesdays at nine now!).

speaking of veronica mars, it's been kicking a large amount of butt over on the twop awards. i am SOOO excited for season two, with new recurring characters played by charisma carpenter (buffy from cordelia as the sexy casablancas stepmom) and steve guttenberg as a mayoral candidate/parent of a new kid at school. can you believe i'm excited to see steve guttenberg in something? well, i am.

anyway, i'm soliciting book recommendations again, if you have 'em. and don't think i'm ignoring your suggestion if i haven't read it yet! it's written down in my trusty purple notebook until i can track a copy down at a local library--or until i come into a windfall and can buy enough books to warrant living in an even bigger apartment. :)

10 comments:

pinky pinkerson said...

(any book I recommend is from the library, or else I'd just lend it to you)

"Dress Codes" - Noelle Howey. True story about having a transsexual dad. Very touching (but not at all sappy) and funny in places.

Alicia K. said...

hey, you once recommended a book to me that your brother had recommended to you (i think it involved time travel?) but i lost the little book i used to write my book list in (very traumatic) and can't remember the title/author. do you have any idea what i'm talking about? i wanted to read it and i know they had it at davis. :)

i'll definitely look for the howey--thanks!!

pinky pinkerson said...

yes! It's "Replay" by Ken Grimwood.

Alicia K. said...

haha, thanks. :)

Anonymous said...

Check your SILS mailfolder. :)

Alicia K. said...

well, that was pretty awesome! thanks, john. :)

interestingly, i somehow got an advance reader's copy of the new cormac mccarthy book sent to my apartment before i went to south carolina (and i was totally mad that it wasn't something i wanted to read). since it looked really unappealing, i gave it to my dad to read, who didn't seem to like it but is still reading it anyway. hopefully they'll keep sending me free books! send this site to your friends! boost my traffic so publishers send me good books!

but seriously--you're awesome!

David said...

Both Fiskadoro and Jesus' Son by Denis Johnson are way up on my list of books I love to think about all the time. JS you may have/probably have read--related short stories--too perfect. Fiskadoro is strange and beautiful--I have both you can borrow if you want.

Alicia K. said...

yes please! or i'm sure they have them at davis. i've been trying to track down jesus' son all summer to no avail.

David said...

You can borrow mine when ever you want. It is like my copy of cloud atlas--I love it so much I want everyone I know to read it. I have already hooked one person with it. I comes with a little vile of coke.

Alicia K. said...

i'll just stick with the book addiction for now. thanks though! ;)