Thursday, October 05, 2006

2006 book 112

Frank Portman's King Dork
Well, the bloggers have been raving about this one for months, so I figured I'd finally read it. And it was pretty good! Portman (the dude from Mr. T Experience) has written a dark, pretty funny and mostly accurate depiction of high school dorkdom. His main social outcast character is a wannabe rockstar, and that especially rings true (probably b/c, y'know, Portman is the dude from Mr. T Experience). I did find some of the teenage antics in the second half of the book to be slightly unbelievable, but most of the book does feel very real. I mean, I guess it's true that a guy in a band suddenly becomes about ten times hotter, so maybe all of it is actually believable. *shrug*

2 comments:

pinky pinkerson said...

all that bj action made me glad I don't have kids!

I thought the mystery aspect of it was eh, but overall I really liked it.

Alicia K. said...

the bjs were what i found most unbelievable! i wondered for a while if the whole thing wasn't the product of an concussion fantasy.

but yeah, the mystery thing was pretty anticlimactic.