Tuesday, October 03, 2006

veronica mars

Now that Veronica Mars is back on the air, my fall tv schedule is locked in! And my sister and I both enjoyed this episode--she thought it lacked drama, but I thought it was a fun start to what will no doubt be a dramatic season. Veronica in college = totally awesome! I'm hoping for another George Michael and Maeby guest spot.

By the way, don't scoff at the quad of bikini-wearers and say that would never happen on a college campus. It happens daily on the one where I work, and sometimes the sunbathers even bust out their laptops, squinting to read the screen as they do research and IM friends. Ah, the miracle of wireless!

For the curious, here is what I'm watching this season:

Monday: Heroes and Studio 60
I like Heroes, mainly for the Japanese guy ("Super-Hiro!"). Why are all the girls sexy blondes? That just seems odd.

Tuesday: Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars
I only watch Gilmore Girls halfheartedly. The only characters I like these days are Sookie and Lane. I am into the concept of dessert sushi made with red hots, though.

Wednesday: ANTM and Project Runway
PR Reunion special tomorrow! That should be my drama fix for the week.

Thursday: Ugly Betty and Grey's Anatomy
America Ferrara totally rocks. She is adorable in braces. I like this show enough to get past my personal pet peeve that on tv and in movies, glasses = ugly.

Coming soon: I actually read more books! James Bond, the fashion model! New hair! And more.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

boy's perspective:

i scoffed, but then i thought that maybe that sort of thing happens at warmer weather universities, like in california, or, in your case, florida. would that it had happened at my alma mater!

i really liked the first episode. i think that the perky girl waking up screaming with her head shaved was pretty dramatic. she seemed like a decent enough person anyway, even if she was a frat mattress. i like the head-shaving part of the story to add a little twist; unfortunately, rape has become so normalized in television that you gotta do something a little more extreme to punch it up emotionally.

i guess dick is going to take logan's place as most fucked up cast member. i like that development, too, and i was surprised that that scene with him showing up at logan's apartment sniveling played out quite well. homey's got some acting chops.

i don't really understand the whole prisoner-kendall-keith thing. tried and failed to push pause a few times, as we've watched all the shows thus far on dvd.

arcane connenction comment: did you notice that the TA in veronica's criminology class is the same actor who played the ptsd janitor last year?

oh, and the dandy warhols actually succeeded in making the theme song suck even more! that counts as an accomplishment.

Alicia K. said...

I also hate the new credits!

OK, here is what I puzzled out about the prisoner thing. He was the one Fitzpatrick brother from last season who was in jail. Kendall was his girlfriend and had been working with his little brother Liam on whatever and got all that money. Although Kendall was devoted to her boyfriend--even did jail time for him--he was just as greedy as his brother Liam and killed Kendall to get the money for himself. He wants to kill Keith too so he can flee to Mexico or wherever.

However, as Keith discovered, Liam had hired Vinnie Vanlowe to follow Keith (knowing that Keith had gotten involved last season) so I expect them to show up next episode, the brothers will have a gun battle of some sort, and Keith will be rescued. Good times.

My sister and I totally called the roommate being one of the victims--especially when Veronica went into the room! She's gonna be kicking herself for that one.

Alicia K. said...

Oh! I didn't notice it was the same actor--though I wondered if his crappy wig would play a big role this season (I predict YES).

pinky pinkerson said...

did you ever see "less than perfect?"

I thought that Ugly Betty was very similar in tone, even down to the "cuartel de feas" - the weird friends.

I wish I could see the original, with subtitles. although there seem to be similar shows on the spanish-language channels - there's always some gal with greased-down bangs, glasses and braces. the "betty" must have become a common character.

Anonymous said...

thanks for clearing that up. i'm not very good at whodunits.

Alicia K. said...

I've never seen Less than Perfect, but that's a more interesting comparison than most (Ugly Betty keeps getting compared to Devil Wears Prada).

I've seen bits and pieces of one of the Spanish ones too! They're sooo fakely ugly--pasted on monobrows and moles--that at first I thought I was watching some weird detective sitcom (like the hot girl was undercover as an ugly girl).

Anonymous said...

Are you sure Kendall's dead? And I totally have no idea what was going on with the Fitzpatricks...

I love that Mac will be more of a major character and that Wallace has a friend!

Alicia K. said...

Christine, good point. I'm basing her death on the spoiler floating around that a semi-major character would die in the premiere, and no one else seems to have died. I wish she was still alive though. That was totally harsh!

I love that Wallace's friend has a crush on Veronica!

And you know I love Mac and am happy she'll be a regular.

pinky pinkerson said...

every woman on spanish-language tv is either super-hot, or a fat grandma-type dressed up like a schoolgirl with a lollipop. the ugly ones are hot, the old ones are hot, almost all of them are hot!