Monday, October 16, 2006

2006 book 116

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's Half of a Yellow Sun
This book took me a while to read, but don't take that to mean I wasn't into it, b/c I was! But it was a little intense for beach reading--it takes place in Nigeria in the late 1960s, during the civil war. The story primarily focuses on a pair of wealthy, educated twins and their respective lovers--a revolutionary professor and a British writer--as well as a young village boy who becomes the houseboy of the professor. Their respective experiences during the war highlight the ravages of the period from nearly every angle--I actually wish this book would garner more critical attention, because I guarantee most Americans don't know this war ever took place, and have no idea of the impact it had (I didn't know much about it until I read this--it inspired some research. Librarian Power!). Anyway, this was a really well-written and moving story, and I'd highly recommend it.

P.S. I think I'm totally over Studio 60. God, they are all so annoying and not funny at all! It's hard to buy that anyone watches or cares about their ridiculous show. [Heroes, on the other hand? Totally awesome! Yes, I am a big nerd--did you miss the title of the blog?]

No comments: