Thursday, October 19, 2006

new magazine

I am very intrigued by a few of the articles in the first issue of this magazine--I think I'm going to try and hunt it down after work!

Speaking of the 80s (and God bless the fug blog): I totally would watch a show like that. Maybe Oxygen could pick it up. :)

I meant to post this last night, but it got lost in the ether (i.e., the kitten stepped on my keyboard and the link was gone. he also deleted several of my itunes playlists with a single step last night): Here's the list of 1001 books to read before you die (from the book of the same title). I counted up to 94 I'd read before my eyes glazed over. Interestingly, many authors I don't like are on there, which really brought my numbers down.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

re: the craft zine, my girlfriend just got it and really likes it, although she doesn't knit, and it tends to lean heavily on the knit things--so you would probably like it even more.

also, it is slightly undersized, which is an interesting move. makes it more portable.

Alicia K. said...

I went for it based on your recommendation--so thank your girlfriend for me! It's pretty awesome.

Anonymous said...

I am such an uncultured rube. In that entire list I counted 18 I've read plus 1 I own but haven't read yet (Crytonomicon by Neal Stephenson... at 1,168 pages, it's going to be a while longer). I've seen at least that many movies based on other books, though. Yep. a rube. (MIke)

Anonymous said...

85! My English degree was not in vain! I will have to get on this, I do love a challenge. Thanks for posting it!

Alicia K. said...

wow, you guys made it through the whole list??? i was somewhere in the 300s when i realized reading and counting titles was not something i wanted to do anymore. my eyes hurt!

Anonymous said...

As a recovering English major, I found the list pretty interesting (if a hellafied slog) as much for what it left out as what it included. While I don't think they missed any of the "big" books it was interesting how they went deep into some authors' catalogs but just skimmed others'

Alicia K. said...

georg, i totally agree. like, do we really HAVE to read the complete works of philip roth or j.m. coetzee? no. especially not the latter.

Alicia K. said...

ok, my count is in! i've read a scant 209 of the 1001 books--mainly b/c they did list some obscure authors and some authors i've consciously avoided (and some authors i've never even heard of).

the breakdown:
19 from the 2000s
143 from the 1900s
40 from the 1800s
7 from the 1700s and earlier

should i give a prize to whoever can guess the 19 from this century? :)