Friday, October 27, 2006

more librarian stereotyping

OK, now I'm mad at Nick from season 2 of Project Runway. Scroll down through this to see why.

I mean, sure, most librarians don't dress like the extremely skanky women on Flavor of Love, but to suggest that we're all covered up and prim and proper is just totally inaccurate. Plenty of librarians show a little skin, even at work.

What's with all the stereotyping lately??? That stupid Garrison Keillor thing, the Questionable Content shirt, the really old-school non-computerized library on Veronica Mars . . . and now even fashion dudes are doing it!

Guess what! Not all librarians have glasses or buns or prudish clothing! Most of us have cute clothes and like technology! This is NOT a new thing, so I don't know why society can't just get used to it already.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) Nick didn't win season 2 for a reason. (it's a show about fashion, hello!)
2) Nick probably hasn't been into any sort of library for a decade.
3) Maybe as a gay guy he is entirely oblivious to the whole hot librarian fantasy thing. Granted, Giles was the Dude, but he probably didn't watch Buffy either.
(MIke)

Anonymous said...

Also -- I went to his official website and it never mentions his exposure on Project Runway. Not even in his biography, which mentions seemingly less important aspects of his career.

Alicia K. said...

Mike--good points, though I thought the librarian fantasy thing was pretty widespread in pop culture (like that one Adam Ant song, or whoever it was, I can't think of it now but I can clearly see the video).

Sarah--I have no idea! I never listen to NPR, just read the website. :) They certainly couldn't show graphics on the air though, so I think you'll be ok.