Sunday, October 08, 2006

2006 book 114

Mary Lawson's The Other Side of the Bridge
When I picked up my recent pile of books-on-hold at the library yesterday, I was puzzled, since I didn't remember requesting this one. I guess I read a good review of it somewhere and just added it to the list--and let me say, I'm very grateful to wherever that was! The story is reminiscent of Kent Haruf--but that may just be the small town farm setting talking. It takes place in the north of Canada and most of the action revoles around two brothers--one the reticent farmer type, the other his manipulative younger brother. Things flit back and forth between the WWII years and the early 60s, when a teenager with a crush on the older brother's wife takes a job at the farm. There's lots of that great small-town drama here, and along with some great writing and characterization, it makes for a really compelling story. I have definitely read some great books lately--I'm not looking forward to winnowing them down into a best of the year list!

No comments: