Saturday, April 14, 2012

2012 book 104

Ron Rash's The Cove
Rash's latest, after Serena (now filming, starring Jennifer Lawrence and . . . Bradley Cooper?), is also set in Western North Carolina, but a generation earlier. It's the midst of World War I, and a woman shunned by her superstitious town encounters a man on the run and convinced her war-wounded brother to let him stay and help on their farm. As more information emerges, it's obvious things are going to be complicated by the world outside. I had mixed feelings about the end--not what happened, but with the narrative style. It felt a bit abrupt. But it worked, I think. B/B+.

2 comments:

Sadler said...

Can't believe that you finished this one already. You mention Serena, but which is better, in your opinion? Curious minds want to know...

Alicia K. said...

Ha! This one was pretty short. I only remember Serena vaguely, but I'm pretty sure it was better--it was on my best-of-the-year list in 2008, and I already know this one won't be on my 2012 list (it was a fine book, don't get me wrong, just not TOTALLY AWESOME).