Tuesday, April 17, 2012

2012 book 109

Carol Rifka Brunt's Tell The Wolves I'm Home
It's 1987, and a fourteen-year-old girl's beloved uncle has just died of AIDS--which was still a super weird and scary thing back then. Feeling bereft, she finds herself secretly befriending his heretofore unknown boyfriend, the only person who understands her loss. Interesting family dynamics at play here--I really liked the stuff with the girl, her older sister, and a portrait their uncle painted of them. The plotting and writing is occasionally a tiny touch overwrought (especially at the end) but I loved this and totally cried. I think this'll be a big one for summer reading and book groups--not to make it sound less literary, but I think there's a lot to discuss. A.

__
An e-galley was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in June.

No comments: